Saturday, March 17, 2012

In the Kitchen: Fridge/Pantry Staples


I mentioned in the last post that I get most of my veggies from a CSA, but that I keep other items handy in my kitchen so that I can easily adapt my meals to whatever arrives in my weekly share. Here are a few of them, in no particular order:

EGGS: Just about any pile of cooked veggies is better with a fried egg on top, and hard-boiled eggs are a great addition to salads. Eggs are my primary source of protein, nutritious (don't believe the stories about their high cholesterol being unhealthy) and cheaper than meat and fish. If you can get them from a local farm (or raise your own), then you will be guaranteed really tasty, high-quality eggs.

One of the joys of having a mixed flock of hens is that I get eggs in a fun
variety of colors and sizes.  At this time of year, they sometimes come with
a little extra mud, which luckily washes off easily.

AVOCADO: Great in salads, cubed on top of chili or spicy tomato soup, and also delicious on scrambled or fried eggs. Avocado is a great source of healthy fat, essential for brain development and many bodily processes. It's even good spread on toast. A dash of salt really brings out its flavor.

CHEESE: usually keep a good Parmesan and some tasty feta in the fridge. Both have a strong flavor, so a little bit goes a long way. Since you'll be using it in small quantities, you can afford to get the good stuff. I like
Trader Joe's for cheese, but there are plenty of other good sources. And it's important to buy organic! There are local dairies making some great cheeses, like this one, this one, and this one. Either of these cheeses can work miracles when finishing a dish, adding just the right touch of savory saltiness. I especially like using feta in salads together with pickled beets, avocado, and balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

BEANS (canned/dried): I usually keep garbanzos and black beans in stock. Both are good added to soups, and garbanzos are tasty in salads too. They can add a bit of extra substance to cooked greens. They can also both be made into creamy spreads like hummus, which make great additions to sandwiches and are much healthier for dipping carrots and other raw veggies in than ranch dressing or the like. I'll share my recipe for hummus (and a black bean translation) in a future post.

Beans!  Pretty little things, aren't they?

MILK: I like to drink tea, and occasionally eat oatmeal or cereal for breakfast, and I like to prepare both of these with milk. My milk of choice is cow's milk, but there are lots of great alternatives like goat milk or almond milk. I grew up drinking skim, but lately I've switched to the higher-fat versions, since the richer milks are more satisfying and can be enjoyed in smaller quantities. I recently learned that Oregon is actually one of the nation's leaders in organic milk production. Who knew?

BUTTER/OLIVE OIL/COCONUT OIL: Most meals I cook start with a hot pan with a little bit of healthy fat in it. When I'm frying eggs, I usually start with butter. Most veggie sautes start with olive oil. And if I'm searing fish over high heat, then coconut oil is the way to go. Butter is also great for baked goods (yummy, yummy flavor), and olive oil is indispensable in vinaigrette dressing. These are both great added to any cooked vegetables right before serving for a little richness.

YOGURT: I prefer the whole-milk European- or Greek-style yogurts. Again, this is something you'll be eating in small quantities, so get the good stuff, and make sure it's organic. I always buy plain so that I can sweeten and flavor it to my own taste with honey or jam. That way I can also use it as a condiment with savory dishes like curry or chili. (And yogurt mixed with pesto? My new favorite condiment for sandwiches and burgers.) It's great with granola for breakfast, too. Or stir in some lemon curd and you have a decadent dessert.

FRUIT: My CSA share doesn't provide much fruit, and I don't generally eat that much of it anyway, but it's nice to have a little bit of healthy sweetness around the house. This time of year, that means a bowl of clementines or a couple of grapefruit. In summer I usually pick berries and peaches at some of the local farms, most of which gets transformed into jam. My jam cupboard (yes, I have a dedicated cupboard) keeps me supplied with tasty sweetness and gifts for friends even when my favorite fruits are out of season.

I love clementines, and when they are in season (winter!) I consume them
by the handful.

DARK CHOCOLATE: Don't think I need to explain what this is for. Yum.

With the above items in my kitchen most of the time, it's pretty easy to come up with something tasty no matter what arrives in the farm share.

What are the staples in your kitchen?

1 comment:

  1. My staples:
    1. sweet potatoes or butternut squash (I can bake them in the oven while showering and dressing and when it's time to walk out the door I can grab one, throw a slab of butter and a shake or two of cinnamon and sea salt and it's off to work with breakfast in hand)
    2. A bowl of apples and a jar of almond butter (what a great pair!)
    3. A jar of olives and a can of sardines for that quick-I-don't-want-to-cook dinner when I arrive home late from work.

    ReplyDelete